Department Staff Information
Director of Building
757-678-0445 Option 3 or ext. 525
757-678-0445 Option 2 or ext. 523
757-678-0445 Option 1 or ext. 524
Northampton County Administration
PO Box 66
16404 Courthouse Road
Eastville, VA 23347
Hours of Operation
9 AM - 5 PM
Board of Supervisors Building Department Code Compliance Commissioner of the Revenue County Administration Courts Emergency Services Finance Department Information Technology Parks & Recreation Planning & Zoning Public Works School Board Sheriff's Office Social Services Solid Waste Treasurer Voter Registration and Elections
When Permits Are Required
2000 USBC SECTION 111.0.
APPLICATION FOR PERMIT.
111.1. When required. Written application for permit shall be made to the building official and an approved permit issued by the building official before any of the following actions may be commenced:
1. Constructing, reconstructing, enlarging, altering, or demolishing a structure.
2. Changing the use of a structure either within the same group classification or to a different group classification when the new use requires greater degrees of structural strength, fire protection, exit facilities, ventilation or sanitary provisions.
3. Installing or altering any equipment which is regulated by the USBC.
4. Removing or disturbing any asbestos containing materials during demolition, alteration, renovation of or additions to structures.
5. Moving a lot line which affects an existing structure’s continued compliance with the building regulations under which it was built.
6. For emergency construction, alterations or equipment replacement, the permit application shall be submitted the next working day following such emergency work.
Exceptions: Compliance with the USBC is required for permit exceptions and inspections are waived. If requested by an owner or their agent, a building permit shall be issued and the work inspected for compliance. The following are exempt from application for permit:
1. Installation of wiring and equipment (i) which operates at less than 50 volts, (ii) for network powered broadband communications systems, or (iii) exempt under Section 101.7(1), except in any case when the installation is located in a plenum, penetrates fire rated or smoke protected construction or is a component of any of the following:
a. Fire alarm system;
b. Fire detection system;
c. Fire suppression system;
d. Smoke control system;
e. Fire protection supervisory system;
f. Elevator fire safety control system;
g. Access or egress control system or delayed egress locking or latching system;
h. Fire damper; or
i. Door control system.
2. Detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses accessory to all groups except Group F or H and detached pre-fabricated buildings housing the equipment of exempted public utilities, provided such accessory structures and pre-fabricated buildings do not exceed 150 square feet (14 m²) of building area.
3. Tents and air-supported structures that cover an area of 900 square feet (84 m²) or less, including all connecting areas or spaces with a common means of egress or entrance and with an occupant load of 50 or less persons.
4. Fences not part of the barrier for a swimming pool and retaining walls four feet or less in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless such walls are supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.
5. Swimming pools which are 150 square feet (13.95 m 2 ) or less in surface area, 5,000 gallons (18,925 L) or less of water capacity and 24 inches (609.6 mm) or less in depth.
6. Work that the building official has authorized pending receipt of an application.
7. Ordinary repairs that include, but are not limited to, the following:
a. Replacement of mechanical or plumbing equipment and appliances, except those fueled by gas or oil, within the dwelling unit in occupancies of Group R-2 which are four stories or less in height and in occupancies of Groups R-3, R-4 and R-5.
b. Replacement of roof coverings and installation or replacement of siding on Groups R-3, R-4 and R-5 structures, where such structures are located in localities where the basic wind speed is 100 miles per hour (160 km/hr) or less, determined in accordance with Table R301.2(4), in the amended 2000 International Residential Code.
[INSERT – Wind speed for Northampton County is 110 MPH]
c. Installation of cabinets in all occupancies.
d. Replacement of floor coverings and porch flooring within the dwelling unit in occupancies of Group R-2 which are four stories or less in height and in occupancies of Groups R-3, R-4 and R-5.
e. Painting any portion of a structure, repair of plaster, interior tile and other wall coverings in all occupancies.
f. Replacement of windows and doors and electrical switches, outlets, light fixtures and ceiling fans, within the dwelling unit in occupancies of Group R-2 which are four stories or less in height and in occupancies of Groups R-3, R-4 and R-5.
g. Replacement of interior floor finish and covering materials.
Ordinary repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas or oil, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.