Department Staff Information
Eastern Shore Regional Jail
5245 The Hornes
Eastville, Va. 23347
Board of Supervisors Building Department Code Compliance Commissioner of the Revenue County Administration Courts Emergency Services Finance Department Information Technology Parks & Recreation Planning & Zoning Public Works School Board Sheriff's Office Social Services Solid Waste Treasurer Voter Registration and Elections
Eastern Shore Regional Jail
The Eastern Shore Regional Jail is a 248 bed facility that houses minimum to maximum security male and female offenders. The Jail is maintained and operated to safely and securely house pre-trial, pre-sentenced and sentenced inmates primarily from both Northampton and Accomack Counties. In addition to housing local inmates, the jail may accept inmates from other jurisdictions, including federal inmates.
In May 2007, the 85,500 square foot facility was opened to replace the 93 year old, 30 bed Northampton County Jail. The state-of-the-art facility was built to meet the current and future correctional needs of the Eastern Shore. All areas of main interior and exterior are monitored by security cameras and the control rooms are equipped to control everything in the housing units from doors, lights and cameras to telephones and televisions. The jail has its own full service Kitchen, Laundry and Medical departments as well as Administrative Offices and an on-site Magistrate’s Office.
The 24 hour facility is operated by the Northampton County Sheriff’s Office, employs 55 people and is currently the largest department in the county government.
When funds are brought to the inmate in the jail, they must be in the form of a Money Order, cash will not be accepted. When funds are brought in, they will be put into a special Commissary account. Once funds are brought in, they cannot be released until the inmate is released, money will not be transferred from one inmate’s account to another or to the public. Money Orders will only be accepted Monday-Friday, 8AM-6PM, money orders brought after hours or on weekends will not be accepted.
Commissary orders are done on Monday night (A-side) and on Wednesday night (B-side). Money must be brought in for inmates by 6:00pm Monday (A-side) or Wednesday (B-side) in order for the inmate to get commissary for that week.
Inmates are not allowed to have personal property brought into the jail. Once they are booked into jail, items such as t-shirts, underwear, or shoes will have to be ordered on Commissary.
The mailing address for the jail is:
Eastern Shore Regional Jail
Eastville, Virginia 23347
Mail is delivered to the inmates daily as it arrives, and after being checked for contraband. There is no limit to the amount of mail an inmate can receive. Books or magazines must be hand delivered in person so that they can be thoroughly checked. Books must be paperback, no hard backs and books that have been sent(ordered) through a 3rd party will be returned to sender. There is a list of approved magazines on the wall in the lobby of the jail.
The inmate telephone service is set up through Paytel Telephone Company. Phone calls can be made by the inmate collect calls only. Incoming calls are not permitted. Information about setting up accounts with Paytel are posted in each cell block and in the lobby of the jail. All inmate phones are recorded. You can contact Paytel by calling 1-866-729-8352 or visiting online at www.paytel.com.
Visitors as well as inmates are required to follow certain rules established for visitation. A copy of the rules for visitation will be posted near the door to the visitation area. Any violation or disturbance which interferes with the operation of the jail during visitation times, will result in termination of visitation for that day. All visitation is non-contact and will be Monday through Friday only.
- Male inmate visitation will start at 9:00am. Registration for visitation will begin at 8:00am and will cut off at 9:00am. Anyone coming after the cut off time, will not be allowed to visit.
- Female inmate visitation will start at 2:00pm. Registration for visitation will begin at 1:00pm and will cut off at 2:00pm. Anyone coming after the cut off time, will not be allowed to visit.
- Visitation will be for 30 minutes only. Each inmate gets only one (1) visit per day.
- All visits will be on a first come first serve basis.
- If more people come to visit the same person, then they will decide who visits. If they can’t decide who visits, then we will ask the inmate who they want to see and that decision is final.
- All visits will be conducted in the visiting rooms adjacent to the lobby.
- Weapons, cell phones, cameras, or contraband of any type are prohibited in this facility.
- All visitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a Parent or Legal Guardian. Children will be kept under control at all times. Crying children, making loud noise, or children out of control will be asked to leave
- All visitors must sign in at Central Control and show a valid form of photo ID, and give their physical address, and relation to the inmate.
- All visitors are subject to search at anytime while in this facility. Anyone refusing to be searched will not be allowed to visit and be asked to leave.
- Only legal materials may be taken to the visiting rooms. All other items including food or beverages are prohibited.
- No more than one (1) adult and two (2) children or two (2) adults are permitted to visit any one inmate at one time.
- All visitors must be dressed appropriately for a family setting. Anyone dressed in an inappropriate manner will not be allowed to visit
- Former inmates (from any facility) are not permitted to visit current inmates unless it has been ninety (90) days since their release or prior written approval is obtained from the Chief Jailor.
- The only items we will accept from visitors are money orders or certified checks only, made out to Eastern Shore Regional Jail with the inmate’s name in the memo section.
- Items that need the endorsement or signature of the inmate may be given to Central Control Officer for that purpose. Once item is endorsed it will be returned to the visitor.
- Personal items, such as clothing will no longer be accepted. Inmate will have to purchase clothing on their commissary order.
- Magazines/Newspapers must be on approved list in Central Control. These items (books, magazines, and Money Orders) must be brought in between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday – Friday. Anything brought in on weekends will not be accepted.
- Any visitor that uses profane language or gestures or engages in disruptive behavior will be asked to leave and their visiting privileges will be revoked.
- Inmates that are on Disciplinary Segregation will not be allowed visits at any time.
- Any violation of the rules of the facility will result in the termination of the visit and ban from the facility (at the discretion of Jail Administration).
Professional Visits/ Special Visits
- All Professional Visits by Attorneys, Probation, etc. will be conducted in the Attorney/Client rooms (both Contact and Non-Contact).
- All visiting rules apply to Professional Visits.
- Visitors will be required to sign in and out on the log sheet (identification may be required).
- Attorneys will be required to show bar card as well as identification (copy kept on file in Central Control).
- All visitors will be checked (metal detector) for unapproved items.
- Unless approved ahead of time, visitation will be concluded by 6:00PM.
- Special visit requests may be submitted by the inmate in writing (via request form), also the person(s) making the visit must be approved (by Phone call) by the Jail Administration.
- Special Visitations (if approved) will be on weekends at times designated by the Jail Administration. Special visits are only for those who cannot come during the week. If you come during the week, you will not be allowed special visits.
- Special visits are limited to only every other weekend (if approved by Jail Administration).
VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) is a free service through which victims of crime can use the telephone or Internet to search for information regarding their offender's custody status and register to receive telephone and e-mail notification when their offender's custody status changes (transferred to another facility, death, escape, or released from custody). You can use the telephone to search for and register to receive notification about the custody status of an offender by calling the Virginia VINE at 1-(800)-467-4943. You can also search for and register to receive notification about the custody status of an offender via VINELink at www.vinelink.com.